Tuesday, May 6, 2008

What has changed?

My thoughts on the roads here have changed a lot since I have spent so much time on them. I first thought they were too narrow and too difficult, but as I said in an earlier blog the people seem to be very considerate of others and it is really quite easy to commute around the towns on bikes, in cars, walking, or however you are going to your destination. The whole time I have been here I still have not seen one accident. I have seen where an accident has happened but never witnessed one. That is very good because in Utah I see them at least once a week.That is where the roads are twice as wide the cars are sometimes three to six times bigger that the average ones here. I think because the roads are so narrow it makes people better drivers because they have to focus constantly because there is no room for an error. if you swerve you could run into a house or a person or into a ditch that may consume the whole car. I bike around all the time now and I am never worried about being hit by a car. I figure as long as I obey the rules and use common sense I will not get hit.

I have also changed my opinion about what crowded really is. When I took this picture I remember thinking how many people were there. If you look at the picture you can see huge spaces all over. I know many people are polite and will avoid being in your picture but as you can see the space is too wide for that to have been going on. So what I thought was crowded is nothing to what I think is crowded now. For example if I have to stand on the train because all the seats are full that is not crowded it just means there are people on the train. BUT if I have to stand on the train and I have to spoon with some older lady that may be a little too crowded. I can always tell when a place is too crowded by the fact that there always seems to be an older woman to lean on me and rest like I am a wall. I find it very interesting! If I am sitting they normally don't sit by me unless there is only one seat, but if it is standing time it doesn't really matter how much space is on the train they seem to lean against me. That is now my "If it is crowded or not" gauge.

2 comments:

visual gonthros said...

Thanks, Shizzle. It has been nice to see your growth and change throughout this semester. I am glad to hear that you will be able to work in Japan. Will you keep blogging about your Japanese experiences? I hope so...

shizzle said...

Of course I will still write about my experiences. I think they are just going ot keep getting better as I learn more about Japan. It will never end! Hahahaha.