Saturday, February 16, 2008

Jinja

This is the closest Shrine to the dorm I live in. I find this shrine so interesting because of the things in the shrine. This shrine has become a park as well as a place of worship. This to me says a lot about Japan. By putting the swings and slide in they made this place more enticing to others as well. Now kids will want to go and pay here while maybe there parents pray or do something. I have only seen 20 or so people in this park and most of them being kids using the swing and slide.

I look at this and think of all of Japan though and how it is really holding traditional values and modernizing at the same time. It also makes me wonder though if they could change this place into a park, would they do that to all of them and would that change the actual people that live in this neighborhood?

1 comment:

visual gonthros said...

"It also makes me wonder though if they could change this place into a park, would they do that to all of them and would that change the actual people that live in this neighborhood?"

I'm not sure I understand your question. Change all of WHAT into parks? And what kinds of changes for the people in the neighborhood are you talking about?

Why are there not any people in your photos? It seems like a lonely place - like a normal shrine that is empty most of the time except for festival days.

On a technical note, your text and photo layout is a bit odd. Text appears strange in some places and your photos appear in locations that don't match the text. Can you fix this?

-scf