Sunday, February 10, 2008

Working together with courtesy.


This picture was taken in Fukui on one of the early days of my arrival to Japan. I noticed instantly the size difference in cars and roads. Roads in Japan are very narrow, which the reasons were obvious to me( very limited space). I was happy to see that people were very mindful of other drivers. By this I mean that when the parts of the road were very narrow and it was hard to pass someone would pull as far over as possible and stop to make it easier for the other driver to pass. Bikers on the roads here also get a lot more courtesy and space.

1 comment:

visual gonthros said...

You have some interesting observations. I like that you discuss the environment of Japan and people's behavior as well. You are on the right track with your blog...

Brian Moeran in his Okubo Diary (1985, Stanford University Press) writes about how roads in rural Kyushu are narrow on purpose so that people have to stop and move out of the way for each other (and thus talk with each other, too.).

I'm not sure if I observe this kind of cooperation here in Osaka...

-scf